Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin...

...died yesterday of heart failure at 5:55pm in a California hospital at the age of 71.

I'm glad Allen and I got to see him in his last concert in Houston, and it's kind of weird that he died in the state farthest away from his beloved hometown of NYC.

Carlin was the best comedian with the most powerful material and the balls to perform it flawlessly. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have the ability to make people laugh, know what comedy is or ever had the courage to start doing stand up.

He's the first comedian I ever heard and the last I paid to see. There are a bunch of comedians who I've heard and loved between those two time-slots, but none will stay in my memory as he did. From his 7 Dirty Words to Capital Punishment, Prison Camps, Suicide, Religion is Bullshit and my personal favorite, The 10 Commandments, he created his own philosophy on life from misanthropy, Stoicism and atheism all rolled into one.

Some articles about his death:

The Associated Press

Aint it Cool

PopWatch



Joe Bless you George Carlin...

No comments: